5 Ways to Improve Your Dental Hygiene Routine

dental hygiene routine

5 Ways to Improve Your Dental Hygiene Routine

We all understand the importance of brushing our teeth at least twice a day, but is brushing enough? At Prescott Dentistry, we encourage our patients to brush every morning and night, but that’s just a baseline standard for your daily dental hygiene routine. Here are five more ways that will help you with improving your dental hygiene and your oral health. 

Five Ways to Improve Your Dental Hygiene Routine

1: Use an Electric Toothbrush

An electric toothbrush can be more effective than a traditional toothbrush when used correctly. With an electric toothbrush, all you need to do is guide the brush along all surfaces of your teeth, letting the bristles vibrate and clean them for you. Electric toothbrushes usually have a built-in two minute timer, so you get the added benefit of always brushing the recommended amount of time! 

However, it is important to note that brushing too hard can cause damage to your gums. This can happen with a traditional toothbrush or an electric toothbrush. Use gentle pressure when brushing, and hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle towards the gum line in order to avoid damaging your gums or wearing away your tooth enamel.

2: Learn How to Floss Properly

Did you know that a toothbrush can only reach 60% of your teeth’s surface? Flossing at least once daily can greatly improve your oral health by removing plaque, debris, and food buildup from the other 40% of surface area. 


However, lossing can only provide you with these benefits when performed correctly. Curve the floss into a C-Shape, and make sure to go in between your teeth as well as under the gums. Avoid flossing too hard, as this can damage your gums and cause oral health problems rather than preventing them. 

3: Use an Oral Rinse After Brushing and Flossing 

Using an alcohol-free oral rinse after brushing and flossing can provide you with an extra layer of cleanliness and protection against bacteria and tooth decay, and it is an important step in your dental hygiene routine. 

We recommend brushing your teeth after you floss, to remove any debris you loosened during the flossing process. Finishing this process with an oral rinse will flush away any remaining bacteria and debris from your mouth. 

4: Don’t Forget to Clean Your Tongue

Did you know that your tongue harbors tens of millions of bacteria on its surface? These bacteria can contribute to bad breath and plaque buildup in your mouth. When brushing, you should gently brush your tongue as well in order to remove bacteria. You can also use a tongue scraper to gently get rid of any bacteria buildup on the tongue’s surface and finish with an oral rinse for fresh breath.

5: Schedule Regular Dental Checkups

Always keep up with your twice-yearly cleanings and exams. An oral hygienist can clean your teeth below the gums and in other places that brushing and flossing can’t reach. During your exams, your dentist can often spot the early signs of cavities and gum disease, and help you stop problems before they start.

Give Us a Call

Following these five steps will go a long way toward keeping your teeth and gums healthy, strong, and beautiful throughout your life. At Prescott Dentistry, we are committed to working with you and your family to help you achieve optimal oral health. Contact us today to set up an appointment with our compassionate, dedicated team.

Images used under creative commons license – commercial use (6/13/21) Pexels