Non-Toxic Amalgam Removal
Biomimetic Dentistry restores your teeth to their natural strength, function, and appearance, but what about the process of dealing with the old fillings that need to be removed? The doctors at Prescott Dentistry follow a very specific protocol when removing old mercury-amalgam restorations to minimize exposure to the mercury and heavy metals released during the removal process. This is especially important to individuals that have chemical sensitivity, metal toxicities, or other environmental intolerances. These precautions may vary somewhat, based on the individual’s needs and overall health goals. Below are some of the steps we may take:
- Protective eyewear
- Protective face/nose mask to minimize skin contact and absorption of any mercury particles
- Tooth isolation system or dam that provides active air evacuation from the oral cavity. This minimizes exposure to particles, aerosols, and vapors released.
- Proper removal technique involving cutting out amalgam fillings in “chunks” where possible rather than drilling out the entire filling.
- Breathing clean oxygen through a nose mask to comfortably decrease mouth breathing during the procedure.
- Use of copious rinsing and cooling of the filling during removal.
- Chlorella herbal rinse and discussion of supplements to help detoxify following amalgam removal
- Working closely with your Naturopathic Doctor to schedule IV therapies such as chelation and supplements may be considered as well.
Individual circumstances will determine which precautions are needed or used. To have all your questions answered, contact us for a consultation with our dentist about non-toxic amalgam removal. You can also watch this informative episode from the Dr. Oz Show.