25 Apr Benefits of Invisalign in Prescott
At Prescott Dentistry, we understand how important having straight teeth is to you. And having a straighter smile isn’t only for cosmetic purposes— it actually helps keep your teeth and gums healthy too! If you’re looking into options for straightening your teeth, Invisalign is the way to go. Here are some of the benefits of Invisalign:
Invisalign isn’t just about helping you achieve a straighter smile that will give you confidence. The benefits of invisalign go far beyond just straightening teeth, to treating other conditions that include:
- Crowded teeth
- Gap teeth
- Open bite
Yes, Invisalign will give you a straight smile, but it’s important to understand that the advantages to proper teeth alignment go well beyond just looks.
- Teeth— By having a straighter smile, you can more easily and thoroughly clean your teeth. Crowded teeth have a higher likelihood of decay/cavities since it is harder to reach every surface with a toothbrush—and this leads to plaque buildup. Also, when teeth are improperly aligned, the biting forces are poorly distributed, and chipping, fracturing and even tooth loss are more likely to occur from this gradual “traumatic occlusion”. This can lead to more dental work down the road—which can be both costly, time-consuming, and uncomfortable.
- Gums—When teeth are crowded, gums tend to become red, swollen, and painful; these are also the signs of periodontal or gum disease. The same can be said for teeth that are too far apart—food can get impacted deep into the gums and/or cause damage to your gums. Remember, teeth that are properly aligned give the gums less opportunity for periodontal disease and are generally are far healthier.
- Overall Wellbeing—There is research indicating that periodontitis may be associated with several other health conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes, or stroke. Remember, the mouth is the gateway to the body. It is almost always your first line of defense, so your oral health really does matter!
Invisalign vs. Traditional Braces
- No food restrictions— Unlike traditional braces, you can actually remove Invisalign to eat. This means you won’t have any food restrictions or things you can’t eat. With the same lengthy treatment using traditional braces, those food restrictions are a real challenge!
- Aesthetics— Invisalign uses a system of clear aligners to straighten your teeth, which are nearly invisible. This means that you won’t have to deal with the bulky, more obvious looks of traditional braces.
- Cleaning— Another downside of traditional braces is that they are difficult to clean. Since Invisalign is removable, you can actually take the aligners off to brush and floss your teeth like normal—cleaning is easy!
If you would like to know more about the benefits of invisalign, please call our staff at Prescott Dentistry to schedule a consultation with Dr. Nathan Thompson. We look forward to helping you achieve the healthy, happy smile you’ve been dreaming about!