03 May Biomimetic Dentistry Highlights
The team at Prescott Dentistry pride themselves in being at the forefront of emerging dental technologies and techniques. As the only dental office that practices biomimetic dentistry in Prescott, and one of the very few in all of Arizona, it is important to spread awareness about this minimally invasive form of dentistry and the benefits it provides. The following are a few notable highlights and facts about biomimetic dentistry for those new to the subject.
- The field of biomimetics can be defined as a scientific-based endeavor to re-create natural tooth strength and function through advanced materials and design systems that imitate nature.
- Biomimetic dentistry has it’s roots in the idea that the tooth’s natural form from its esthetics and color to it’s biomechanics and anatomy are the guiding principles for a successful restoration.
- The biomimetic approach is far more conservative and closer to the natural biology that the drill-and-fill techniques and metal-based materials.
- The ultimate goal of biomimetic dentistry is that restorations restore the original functionality of the dental tissues with the creation of a bond that allows normal everyday stresses to pass through the tooth.
- The clinical imperative of biomimetic dentistry is to preserve as much healthy tooth structure as possible through minimally invasive procedures.
Images used under creative commons license – commercial use (5/3/2016) David Quigley (Flickr)