Why You Should Be Flossing Every Day

flossing

Why You Should Be Flossing Every Day

Because we use our mouths every day for eating, drinking, smiling, and talking, it’s important to take care of them. Taking good care of your oral health starts with a top-notch daily oral hygiene routine, which includes regular flossing. At Prescott Dentistry, we’re committed to helping our patients develop good oral hygiene habits at home that will make their dentist appointments happier and easier. Read on to learn more about the benefits of flossing, and why you should be flossing your teeth every day. 

Four Benefits of Flossing Every Day

1: Flossing Cleans Areas Your Toothbrush Can’t Reach

Did you know that brushing your teeth alone only allows you to clean about 60% of the surfaces in your mouth? Flossing allows you to clean the other 40% that your toothbrush can’t reach and helps prevent gum disease and tooth decay.

 

Bacteria builds up more quickly in between your teeth than anywhere else, because the bacteria on other areas of your mouth can be cleared away by your tongue and saliva. If you fail to remove the sticky plaque buildup between your teeth with flossing, it will eat away at your tooth enamel, leading to cavities and gum disease.

2: Flossing Helps to Prevent Gum Disease

When you floss properly, you’re also removing plaque from below your gumline. Plaque loves to build up under your gums, and when it does it causes gingivitis. It is important to floss daily in order to prevent gum disease, which can lead to serious health problems including tooth loss if left untreated. 

3: Flossing Strengthens Your Gums 

If your gums bleed every time you floss, don’t take that as a sign to stop flossing. Gum bleeding is an inflammatory response that should stop with regular brushing and flossing over time to build up your gum strength. If the bleeding continues after a few days of regular flossing, it could be a sign of a more serious problem, and you should schedule a dental appointment right away.

4: Flossing Improves Your Overall Health

Did you know that there is an increasing connection between gum disease and other conditions like heart disease, diabetes, and even dementia? According to the American Academy of Periodontology, people with gum disease are almost twice as likely to have heart disease. Flossing regularly may save you from more serious health problems in the future. 

Know The Proper Flossing Technique

Making an effort to floss is great, but it’s even better when you know the proper flossing technique for maximum cleaning and efficiency. Here are four simple steps to flossing, according to the American Dental Hygienists’ Association

  1. Wind 18 inches of floss around the middle fingers of each hand. Pinch the floss between your thumbs and index fingers, leaving a one- to two-inch length in between. Use your thumbs to direct floss between your upper teeth.
  2. Keep a one- to two-inch length of floss taut between your fingers. Use your index fingers to guide the floss between each of your lower teeth.
  3. Gently guide the floss between your teeth by using a zig-zag motion. Do not snap the floss between each tooth. Contour the floss around the side of the tooth in a C-shape.
  4. Slide floss up and down against the tooth surface and under the gum line. Floss each tooth thoroughly and gently with a clean section of floss.

Prescott Dentistry Is Here to Answer Your Questions

Flossing is a vital part of keeping your teeth and gums healthy. If you still have questions about the benefits of flossing or the proper flossing technique, Prescott Dentistry is here for you. Give us a call to schedule a consultation with our compassionate, dedicated team. 

Images used under creative commons license – commercial use (6/18/21) Pexels